Net-deprived last few days. Not that I didn't have the internet connection. I did. Just been busy, busy, busy with trying to find work. Most things are not working out. Some are. I'm hopefully teaching A'level Sociology at St.Pat's starting after Eid. It's still not confirmed and the terms of employment haven't been finalized so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If any of you do know someone who needs A'level Sociology or General tuitions, send them my way. =D

Eid, incidentally, is about to be a very trying and tiring experience. There's two bakras at my place, two at my phuppi's as well as the bael at my phuppi's. The bael is most gorgeous except I'm sure that's black shoe-polish that's coming of his forehead. All these animals will be chopped up into tiny, little, itsy bitsy pieces on the first day of Eid. Shabeeb Bhai, eldest and laziest, will be taking care of things at home so I can head off with Taha to Sohaib's and get the other animals sacrificed. Knowing Shabeeb Bhai though, he'll probably wash his hands off everything--literally--once the knife slices past the jugular on both bakras at home.

Yesterday was an adventure. Seven excruciatingly long hours from the time I left home to the time I got back. And we got off easy. Would have taken longer if it weren't for the last minute decision to go and the fear of being ripped off in the impending darkness. Four hours walking around in the dirt and filth that is the Bakra Mundi has left my soles permanently dirty. My sandals are a sight to behold. By the time we got back, we looked like we'd just run the Dakar Rally on foot.

To garnish the experience of the Mundi itself, Sohaib and I hung on for dear life to the back of a Suzuki Pick-up with three other people and six bakras. Shabeeb Bhai sat in relative comfort up front. Oh, and it's cold in Karachi. No more mocking the Karachi cold.

Which is not to say it is "cold". I'm still shocked by people who sit in their homes covered in layer upon layer of blankets and sweaters, wearing two pairs of socks and still shivering while they crib about their freezing toes. Mummy's one such person. She positively freezes when she sees me walking out of the house at night in a T-shirt and my lifafa of a parachute jacket.

Enough ramblings. I'm bored. I want pizza. And coffee. And KFC.

And I still don't have a harmonica. Or shoes. Or a camera.

Bah!

No comments: